Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Last and Final Exhibition Game

I finally got a chance to watch the final exhibition game against Kentucky Weslyan tonight. Thank goodness the Illni are able to match up against Division II opponents, unlike MSU and OSU recently. A few observations on the likely starters this season:

1. Either Brian Randle is back for a solid senior year, or he needs to transfer to a Division II program. Basically, this is his season.

2. Shaun Pruitt might have improved from last year. I'm still not envisioning him in a NBA uniform (Europe seems more likely to me), but he should have a really solid senior season as well.

3. Meacham looks like one of the better walk-ons this year, and should probably start until someone takes his job at the two guard position.

4. Frazier looks like the starting point guard until McCamey takes the job away, which might not happen this season.

5. I'm not sure who the fifth starter is, but I would put my money on Calvin Brock right now.

I really like some of the new big guys on the Illini roster this year, namely Tisdale, Cole, and Davis. I think Semrau looks big and strong, plays good defense and rebounds, so he could back up Pruitt as necessary. Alexander plays more like a guard, and should be fine once he settles into the motion offense.

I think the Illini will be a tough match-up this year, due to their team defense, rebounding, depth at all positions, experienced starters, and size.

The biggest weakness of the team is pure shooters. Hopeful shooters are Meacham, Alexander, Holdren and Davis in the absence of Jamar Smith, who is sitting out this year. The only shooter on the likely starting five is Meacham.

No comments: