Tuesday, January 16, 2007

NCAA Tourney Games for Illinois


I must admit, I have only been to two NCAA tournaments as an Illini basketball fan over the past 29 or so years. My timing has been uncanny, since I have probably been to the best and worst NCAA appearances by the Illini in my lifetime.

My first NCAA tournament involved a trip to Birmingham Alabama back in 1987. Rather than taking vacation days, I planned to skip the first round games and attend the second round games instead. After all, college b-ball expert Dick Vitale assured everyone a first round Illini win over Austin Peay that year. Well, the Illini had checked out of their hotel before I arrived in Birmingham, Dick Vitale ended up standing on his head on TV, and I watched a young coach named Rick Pitino coach Providence to a victory over Austin Peay. The Illini flop is considered one of the biggest first round upsets in recent history.

My second NCAA tournament experience was the 2005 Chicago regional at Allstate Arena. I watched the Illini win the grudge match over Bruce Pearl's Wisconsin-Milwaukee, and two days later saw the unbelievable Illini comeback win over Arizona.

Let's hope Illinois makes the NCAA tournament this year.

No comments: